Frequently Asked Questions
curve slider image

About Employment with Dodge County

This section provides answers to some of the more commonly asked questions about employment with Dodge County. Additional information about these topics or other issues may be obtained by contacting the Dodge County Employee Relations Department at:

Dodge County Government Services Building
721 Main Street North, Dept. 65
Mantorville, Minnesota 55955
(507) 635-6239 (507) 635-6265 (FAX)

This page is intended to provide you with general information, and if conflicts exist between this information and Dodge County Personnel Rules, Benefits Policies, relevant statutes and collective bargaining agreements, the latter documents prevail.

What kinds of jobs are available with Dodge County?
Dodge County employs about 250 people in a variety of fields related to: Property taxation,  health care, law enforcement, court administration, public works, general administration and others. Most County offices are located in Mantorville at the Dodge County Courthouse and the Government Services Building. The Highway Department, Public Health, and Fairview Care Center are located in Dodge Center. 

How do I find out what jobs are open at Dodge County?
A list of current openings is available via the Internet under Employment. A list of these job openings is also posted on the public bulletin board at the Dodge County Government Services Building, open Monday through Friday, 8am to 4:30pm, Central Time.

How do I apply for a job once I know what job I want?
On the Employment page, click on the link for the job that you are interested in and follow the instructions.  All applications are completed in UKG, our on-line application system.

Applications must be received by the Employee Relations Department by the application filing deadline. Although some positions have an "OPEN" filing deadline, in all cases you are encouraged to submit your completed application to Employee Relations as soon as possible. Postings with an "OPEN" filing deadline can close without notice at any time.

If you are a Veteran of the U.S. armed services, or a spouse of a deceased or disabled veteran, you must submit a DD214 or other separation papers within 7 calendar days after the application deadline for the position in order to apply for Veterans Preference under Minnesota Statutes. For more information regarding Veterans Preference, call the Employee Relations Department at (507) 635-6239.

What is important to know about completing the application form?
It is important to be as complete as possible in filling out the application. It is not sufficient to mark the form "see resume". Be sure to note any required degrees, certifications, and licensures, or dates of anticipated graduation or licensure, if within the next 12 months.

Can I substitute other experience or education for the minimum qualifications?
Unless otherwise mentioned in the job announcement, each year of additional qualifying experience may be accepted as a substitute for each year of education lacking. Approved special training or education may be accepted as a substitute for each year of experience lacking. (The above substitutions will not be allowed when such substitutions would lower the professional standing of a county institution or disqualify the county from receiving federal or state grants-in-aid, or when statute prohibits it.)

Is there a residency requirement for employment with Dodge County?
County residence is not required for application or after employment unless otherwise stated in the job announcement.

What if I am interested in a job that isn’t open for application?
We do not accept applications for a position unless there is an opening. You will have to monitor the website or the jobs line listing for future openings.

What happens after I apply for a job?
Once the position has closed, applications are scored based on job criteria. Candidates eligible for an interview will be contacted as to interview time and place. Candidates not eligible for an interview will be notified by e-mail.

How long does the application process take?
The length of time depends on the number of people who apply and the type of position.

What if I need special interview arrangements?
You may request special interview arrangements if because of a disability you need special arrangements to complete the interview. Requests for special arrangements should be made at the time of application.

What if I’m hired?
You will be required to serve a trial work period of employment lasting one year. New employee orientation sessions are conducted soon after hire to provide information about the County and employee benefits and other useful information. Some departments provide additional training or orientation.

What if I’m interested in temporary work or in setting up an internship?
Generally, job announcements are used to fill regular full-time, regular part-time and temporary openings. In most cases, the hiring of interns is coordinated through the individual departments. If you are interested in internship employment, you are encouraged to contact the individual departments. Be sure to indicate that you are interested in internship employment when you call the specific department of interest to you.

The Dodge County Home Page may be helpful in getting started.